Skip to main content

THE POWER OF OVER CONFIDENCE





A Tired body.



Drowsy eyes.



Weak legs.



As I pen down my thoughts for you, these are the expressions of the state I've found myself in.


I wonder what will happen if I don't show up when my heart already knows the answer, and so I keep going because the feeling of regret and distrust in oneself is too much of a burden to bear.


Speaking of distrust, something crazy happened to me.



"What was I thinking?" I have been asking myself what went wrong. I was fully aware of my words and environment, but somehow I got lost in my head.



Lost in my abilities.



As much as it seemed funny, it caused me a lot of concern. I've always been an avid Word Lover.



Words make me happy.



New words give me ecstasy.


Once I come across a word I'm unfamiliar with, I tend to leave every engagement just to get the information surrounding that word.


So it shouldn't have been a problem to spell the word "Grace".


Yes, that's the word I misspelled in front of a crowd—–quite embarrassing.πŸ˜…


Although I've finally figured out the reason for my little problem, it still makes me feel off, and as a result, I'm in doubt of my abilities.



This is what overconfidence does to a man.


I was full of myself.


An Odogwu!πŸ˜…


In other words, I told myself, I know this, so it won't be a big deal.


According to the American Psychological Association, overconfidence is a cognitive bias characterized by an overestimation of one’s actual ability to perform a task successfully, a belief that one’s performance is better than that of others, or excessive certainty in the accuracy of one’s beliefs.



Phew! What a huge definition!


A bias. In essence, you're trying to deceive your subconscious to be who you're not. 


An overestimation of one's actual ability to perform a task successfully. That means that an excess of something could be really dangerous.


Try eating more after you're filled, and note how useless it was to carry out that act. Economists call it diminishing marginal utility.


And that's my issue with villains in some cartoons. Their belief that they are better than others makes them failures in the end.


I believed so much in myself that I fumbled.


One would say it's Pride.


So the next time you don't want to practice, engage in rehearsals, or relearn something because you feel it's in you, think of me and how embarrassing it must've been for a five-letter word to mess me up.πŸ˜…


Till next time,


D.






























Comments

  1. This reminds me of my first year in uni , overconfidence and excessive pride ruined my grade .A nice piece πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMPERFECTIONS

Have you ever gone on Social media, particularly WhatsApp and decide that you'll use a few moments to just go through statuses. You come across things that make you cringe, some make you happy, some make you sad and some brings out an ugly head that will just weaken your mind and break your self esteem. Very crazy indeed. From there you start asking yourself questions that can either build you up or bring you down. Everytime I create a new post on my blog, I go through a lot of doubts asking myself if it's good enough or if people actually read what I post or if it even creates a spark in someone's mind to keep pushing (Pushing PπŸ˜‚) and guess what, if the negative thought supercedes the positive, I'll just tell myself, "Wo, just give up abegggi" and to think I actually do itπŸ™‚. There's this song that lives rent-free in my head. I heard it from a Disney cartoon I watched years ago. "Look at me,  I would never pass for a perfect bride Or a perfect d...

CHILL! THE RESULTS WILL SHOW

I never kept my fingernails. Not because I don't like long nails; it's just that they found their way to my mouth at any given time— I'm telling you, my fingers have minds of their own. I'm sad, I bite. I'm anxious, I bite. I'm scared, I bite. I think, I bite. And the funniest, I'm hungry, I bite. Please don't judge me, and I won't do the same. So, because of these claims, I didn't fancy it until a thought dropped coupled with a little threat. I decided to keep my left pinky, More like a little experiment. Arrgh! The frustration that came with keeping it kicked in. Mere staring at it brings triggers the urge to bite. I was so anxious. I even asked myself if it might be nice cause I won't even lie. I was scared. Yeah, insecurities kicked in. But something in me kept calming my heart. Fast-forward to this moment, I wonder why I didn't keep them all these while. Though, on average, it came out beautiful. I never imagined my nails looking all...

DON'T HOLD ON!

  My decisions are mine and mine alone, even when influenced by others, I'm still the one with the final say. I'm still the one who decides if I want to go or if I want to stay. And so it kills me when such decisions bring about an emotion that won't give me a chance to breathe. That won't give me a chance to move. That won't give me a chance at life. Regret. Basically, we're looking at regret in context of the past i.e in things we wish we had done. Subtly put, Wishful Thinking. To regret means to feel sorry about something, to be remorseful.  It means that regret comes with a deep kind of sorrow. When we feel sorry, it means something went wrong or haywire.  It means there's a pain deep in your hearts knowing that if you went back in time, you would definitely change the turnout of things. "Assuming I just listened, I wouldn't be in this state". This is the sound of someone who feels sorry for themselves for not doing something or taking acti...